Monday, January 29, 2007

The Characters of S. 9th St. and the Italian Market


Anthony D'Angelo - Owner and head butcher of D'Angelo's Butcher Shop
Has lived in South Philly his whole life.
D'Angelo's grandfather established the shop in 1920s and has been passed down the generations from him to his father and then to his brothers, Santo and Mario. Sadly, this is probably the last generation of D'Angelos that will run the butcher as all his sons have other careers and are not interested in being butchers. However, D'Angelo vowed that he'd keep things going strong, "until they carry me out the front door."
"Dealing with the people is my favorite part of this job. And just all the different food in general."
"My least favorite- the hours."

Antonio Pina- worker in Mexican general store
This is his first year working in the Italian Market
Resides in South Philly.
"I love it here because I stay with my people. I used to work in Center City, but I feel comfortable working with my Mexican people- we've formed a little community here."
"I guess the least favorite is the trash and the homeless people around. And sometimes there is stealing here."
Hermano Corona- Produce Street Vendor
Has worked in the Italian Market for four years
Resides in South Philly
"Me gusta casi todo aqui. Las personas y la historia de esta calle." (I like almost everything here. The people and the history of this street.)
"Pero ahora hace frio." (But now it's cold)
Vince Vitolo- 'Sausage Man' D. Cappuccio's Butcher Shop
Has been working at the shop for 30 years and hails from Willingborough, New Jersey. ("I make that hike everyday!"
"The best part is the people- I'm pretty personable."
"My least favorite is the people too."

Frankie Trevino- Shopper
Resides in South Philly
"I came here today for some produce and cheese. The prices down here especially from the stands can't be beat."
"I guess the only thing I don't like is that parking can be hard to find once and a while."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home